Jason Khalipa’s Hotel Gym Workouts
Several lists have been made with “Workouts on the Go.” I want to start a new list (which I will continue to update) of workouts that I do while traveling.From all of my travels (it’s a lot) I have found that the majority of time your hotel will have some type of fitness center. Lets use it!Ultimately lets start with this:Workouts while traveling and performed alone require a certain mentality. A mentality of……you against the dumbbell, you against the push ups, squats…..or any other exercise or piece of equipment, and you want to WIN!!!
It is significantly more important to put yourself in a mindset to perform. My mind says, “walk in the hotel gym, kick my own ass, walk out and get ready for the day.” Although this mentality is challenging to develop and have, it allows you to feel fully fulfilled when finished with your workout. This is truly the only way to be just as satisfied after a hotel workout as a normal CrossFit workout at your home gym. You don’t have a coach or support system, be your own.
Things to Note:
· See if you can play music off your iPhone. No ear plugs they just get in the way.
· If you use a timer on your phone switch the auto lock off.
· Scale accordingly (should be challenging but doable with good technique)
· Hit it hard and always complete full range of motion
· Immediately get on the treadmill or bike when you walk in the door. Start walking or jogging then decide your workout…..don’t sit there and think about it, get your body moving ASAP! You should have a decent sweat before you start, get the floor a bit wet, a gym needs a little sweat on the floor sometimes.
This workouts aren’t design to crush people, just great for a workout on the road….something that makes you feel good when you leave your hotel room ready for the day!
Favorite’s: (More to come, this is just a start)
Great Warm Up: Set a clock, perform 5 burpees every 30 seconds for 5 minutes. If this is easy, go 6, then 7.
NorCal CrossFit Special:
TEAM USA Special:
TBD (something station or team coming, I need to play with it a bit)
08″ Games Special:
Thruster w/45# dumbbells
Immediately after: Sprint at the highest incline and the fastest speed you can handle for 2 minutes. Increase the speed as you go, by 1:40 you should feel purely smoked in your legs…..then push through it!
Note: Little tribute to the 2008 Games. This one had to be short and dirty. A little blend of Fran, Squat Clean (thruster) and the Burpee DL workout….can’t forget the run though.
The Ava Special:
Run 400 meter’s
21 Ground to Overhead @ 97#’s
Rest 2 minutes and 53 seconds (if you hit this soon, go for four rounds….let me know how it is.)
*Posted 4/21/12* On Ava’s Birthday
“This will be completed for one round since Ava is turning one tomorrow. Next year it will be two rounds, then three……….Damn it will be rough when she turns 10 haha.”
The Ashley Special:
100 db push press @ 45# dumbbells
At the start of every minute perform 3 burpees until you finish
Note: A little tribute to my wife, she likes this one in the garage or on the road. Hit this hard, don’t just go through the motions. Presses get dirty, get them done quick! Quicker the better…..less burpees.
Jason Khalipa Special:
30 seconds on 30 seconds off. Treadmill to highest incline, speed starts at a jog for a while then at moderate for 3 minutes, more challenging for 3 minutes, very challenging for 3 minutes. Hard as hell for 7 minutes. 15% incline and level 8.5mph is pretty legit. Total WORK time is 10 minutes.
Notes: Your probably wondering…..how the hell is a run special to Jason. This shit hurts like not much else you can do in the hotel gym, try it and let me know. You know you are at the right speed for your final sets when you literally fall off the treadmill at second 29-30. You should gradually feel yourself going towards the end of the treadmill. You should genuinely be nervous that you will fall off the treadmill. (you are going too fast if you fall off….don’t do that)
Matt Chan Special:
Every minute on the minute:
10 thrusters @ 40# db’s
20 double unders
Note: Hit this hard, don’t just go through the motions. This should be doable to complete for most people.
Darren from CrossFit Mayhem Special: (My time: 20 minutes flat)
Run 400 meters
20 Hang Squat Cleans @ 35# dumbbells
Note: Hit this hard, don’t just go through the motions. I set the treadmill to a 7:20 mile pace and left it running. I would jump off, hit the cleans and brupees and try and jump right back on without a break. Try and find a treadmill that doesn’t turn off if it doesn’t sense a person on it.
Chris Spealler Special:
100 hang squat clean thrusters w/ 35# dumbbells
At the start of every minute perform 5 burpees
Note: Hit this hard, don’t just go through the motions. Don’t eat clam chowder right before it like I had the first time I did it.
AMRAP 5 minutes:
7 lat pull down (heavy)
10 push ups
AMRAP 5 minutes:
DB Snatch right arm/left arm (5 each)
10 sit ups
AMRAP 2 minutes:
Jumping Air Squats
Notes: Hit this hard, don’t just go through the motions. Finish hard on the jumping squats, things will get a bit spicy….enjoy it.
Tabata Air Squats
Tabata (push up, pull right arm to chest w/dumbbell, push up, pull left arm to chest w/dumbbell) with 45# dumbbells.
Tabata Hollow Rock
Notes: Hit this hard, don’t just go through the motions. Each tabata is 4 minutes long. 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest. Try and hold your numbers. Keep your shoulders off the floor on the hollow rocks. Go for 15-20 on the squats.
Start a clock:
Every 30 seconds: Perform: 6 burpees for 10 minutes. Immediately after, run a mile for time on the treadmill.
Notes: Hit this hard, don’t just go through the motions. This one is badass. Don’t patty cake the run.
Turn on a song:
Do abs non stop until its over.
Start a clock:
Run for 5 minutes at a moderate pace on the treadmill.
At minute 6 perform max snatches in 2 minutes alternating arms with the dumbbell.
At minute 9 perform max KB swings w/dumbbell in 1 minute
At minute 11 perform max front squats holding the same dumbbell for 2 minutes
At minute 14 perform max burpees for 1 minute
Notes: Hit this hard, don’t just go through the motions. Moderate means moderate, should have some challenge in it. If your jogging or walking your doing it wrong. Don’t stop moving on the snatches, swings, or front squats. Hit the burpees hellllllllllllaaaaaa hard….then your done.
Start a clock:
Run 5 flights of stairs, perform 30 air squats, repeat for 20 minutes.
Note: Hit this hard, don’t just go through the motions. If the place you are at does not have stairs higher than 5 stories, run back down and continue.
AMRAP 12 minutes:
7 Dips (take two chairs if necessary)
10 jumping alternating lunges
Note: Hit this hard, don’t just go through the motions.
5 Rounds for time:
3 Wall Climbs (walk your feet up a wall while facing the wall, walk back down…may want to do it outside)
7 squat cleans w/45# dumbbells
Notes: Hit this hard, don’t just go through the motions. Touch the floor on each squat clean, receive in a full squat.
AMRAP 10 minutes:
10 Push Press w/35# dumbbells
Notes: Hit this hard, don’t just go through the motions. Try and get the push press unbroken (don’t re-dip, that would be a push jerk). Stay smooth and consistent on the burpees, no need to get too crazy on those, stay moving.
100 thrusters for time with 45# dumbbells
Notes: Hit this hard, don’t just go through the motions. Try and take a minimum of 2 breathes in between sets. Work the full range of motion. Don’t short your movement since your by yourself. Full squat, finish fully locked out overhead.
BODY WEIGHT WOD’S
Taken from Forever CrossFit
NO EQUIPMENT. NO EXCUSES.
1. 2 minute max push ups
1 minute break
2 minues max sit ups
1 minute break
2 minute max squats
2. Run 5 minutes turn around and go back in less than 5 minutes
21 vertical jumps (2 feet above your reach)
Repeat the run…5 min out less then 5 back.
3. Five rounds of
Lunge 20 steps
4. 10x 100meter run sprint
Rest 1 minute between efforts
5. ten rounds of
6. Do 25 squats 5 pushup
20 squat 10 push up
15 squat 15 pushup
10 squat 20 pushup
5 squat 10 push up
7. Run 1 mile
Run 1 mile
8. Tabata (20 seconds of work 10 seconds of rest 8x)
Tabata press anything over head (even just your arms)
9. Five rounds
50 step ups or box jumps /10 burpees
10. Run 20 minutes stop every 2 minutes and do 10 squats and 10 pushups
11. Ten rounds
:30 second squat jump
:30 second rest
12: AMRAP in 20 minutes
10 sit ups
13. Bottom to bottom tabata squats
20 second of work and 10 seconds of a squat hold
Run 1 mile
14. AMRAP in 10 minutes
15. 40-30-20-10 reps of walking lunges and pushups
16. 10 rounds for time of: 100 meter sprint and 10 burpees
17. 4 rounds for time of: 1/2 mile run and 50 squats
18. 10 push-ups 10 sit ups 10 squats – 10 rounds.
19. 200 air squats for time.
20. Run 200m 10 squats 10 push ups 5 rounds.
21. Sprint 200m and do 25 push ups, 3 rounds.
22. Handstand push ups and a 200m run 3 rounds.
23. 5 push ups 5 squats 5 sit ups, 20 rounds.
24. Walk 100 meters on your hands, even if it is 2 meters at a time.
25. Run 1 mile for time.
26. Do 10 burpees take 10 breathes, ( you can breath all you want
while you do the burpees) do 9 and take 9 breaths etc…down to 1.
27. Handstand 30 seconds and 10 squats, 8 rounds.
28. Tabata squats.
29. 5x 400M sprints.
30. 10 X 100 m dash.
40. 25 pressing snatch balances each arm. No weight.
41. Run 1 mile, lunging 30 steps every 1 minute.
42. 4 rounds for time of 25 jumping squats, 25 sit ups
43. 10 vertical jumps, 10 push ups, 10 sit ups, 4 rounds…for time.
44. 10 air squats every 1 minute of your 1 mile run.
45. 100 burpies for time.
46. 100 push ups for time.
47. 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 Burpies and Sit ups.
48. 50 sit-ups, 400 meter run or sprint or walk. 3 rounds.
49. 10 walking lunges, 10 push-ups, 10 rounds.
50. 7 squats, 7 burpies, seven rounds, for time.
51. Run 1 mile, plus 50 squats-for time.
52. 5 squats, 5 push-ups, 5 sit ups, 20 rounds.
53. 50 air squats x 5. Rest equal amounts as it took to do each 50.
54. Run 1 mile and do 10 push-ups every 1 minute.
55. Sprint 100m 30 squats…8 rounds.
56. Tabata Push-ups.
57. 30 second handstand against a wall, followed by a 30 second static
hold at the bottom of the squat. 5 rounds.
58. 100 air squats 3 min. rest, 100 air squats.
59. Test yourself on a max set of push ups..
60. 50 burpies for time.
61. run 200 meters, 50 squats, 3 rounds
62. 3 rounds for time of: 20 Air squats, 20 Burpies, 20 Push-Ups